Technology Executive who combines big-picture thinking with finely focused solutions that deliver revenue, cost savings and organizational competitiveness for Fortune 50–2000 companies. Expert at complex cyber security, network, wireless, data center design, voice and implementation issues in enterprise, commercial, telecommunications, financial, manufacturing, utility, medical and retail sectors. Exceptional engineering team-building and leadership skills. Brings best practices culled from wide range of technology environments, with career-long perspective on facilitating corporate goals through identifying root cause issues and addressing with best technology solutions.
- Cloud Computing Strategies
- Application & Network Stack Technologies
- Budget Planning & Analysis
- Strategic Policy Development
- Leadership and Team Building
- P&L Mgmt Implementation Methodologies
- Professional Services for Pre/Post Sales
- Telecom/Connectivity Assessments
- Executive Leadership & Customer Relationship Building
- Client Acquisition
- Lead the selection of industry-leading technology, provide best practices methods, and negotiate with vendors for the selection of best of breed solutions for Global Payments, which resulted in $6.8 million in savings in 1.5 years.
- Managed budgets accountability for Network Services & Security Engineering expenses, manufacture maintenance agreements, and vendor, which resulted in a savings of $17.8 million in 2.5 years for Global Payments.
- Started an HP Networking practice along with a best of breed Security practice for Prosys from ground zero. Hired the senior networking engineers to cover the complexity of these high level networking solutions to compete or compliment Cisco solutions that included data center, unified voice, security solutions, wireless, and infrastructure for cloud offerings. This group went from zero to $8.4 mm FY2011 and $17.2 mm in FY2012.
- Started a Network Operations Center (NOC) from scratch for Prosys using SevOne base multi company for day 2 support for Cisco voice/video networks, IPCC Enterprise environments, and route/switch/data-center environments which is now managing four companies after two months of operation. The next plan for this center is to become a Cloud Management and Security Management Center (SOC) within FY2013.
- Within the first 45 days at Prosys brought in a deal that topped a million dollars and crossed all groups of professional services including data center consolidation, voice make over, and cloud offering.
- Selected, relocated, and redesigned 38 data centers into two data centers, which saved $20 million per year in annual operational cost as a technology consultant.
- Consolidated cloud-based information, voice networks, and corporate data network, which delivered 99.999% reliability and produced $50 million in annual savings as a technology consultant.
- Rectified Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) concerns by redesigning WAN, prepared network for IP voice, video, and global ERP deployment, brought web services and ecommerce in-house, renegotiated carrier contracts as a technology consultant.
- Implemented a $10 million ERP system and enabled global just-in-time (JIT) inventory which saved $3.6 million as a technology consultant.
Technology Management/Technology Consulting:
Reengineered/Led IT department for $2.5 billion Client Company spanning 18 countries to optimize systems, control costs and improve efficiencies and performance. Managed $110 million budget with 100+ employees in 8 divisions; changed mindset of leadership resistant to moving to next generation technology; redesigned WAN; renegotiated carrier contracts; prepared network for IP voice, video and global ERP rollout; brought web services/eCommerce capabilities in-house; gained consensus to implement document management system to resolve Sarbanes-Oxley compliance issue; coached/led project managers in ~$10 million ERP project; spearheaded technology project to manage radio frequency identification chips placed in items shipped to largest retailers while avoiding item price increases.
- Results: Saved $3.6 million with renegotiations and document management system; increased data flow 50+%; new ERP system enabled global JIT inventory, cash conversion, etc.
Managed relocation and redesign of $10 million data center for major auction service provider client. Researched nationwide centers, technologies and methodologies to minimize costs in design of state-of-the-art facility; collaborated with senior leadership; selected/negotiated for site; conceived idea to utilize dark fiber from carrier hotel to handle voice, video and data traffic; designed power requirements, back up and redundancy; contracted engineer to execute collocation facility.
- Results: Completed move 15 days ahead of schedule; saved $4.6 million; expanded telephony service capabilities significantly.
Oversaw network generating $29 billion in business class revenue for major telecommunications company. Hired/Trained team; planned/rolled out to 120+ sites from 50; consolidated 21 unique corporate networks to single high-speed, resilient network; designed one of first fault tolerant backbones spanning US with five nines uptime; redesigned IBM routing network to Cisco network; monitored/measured performance.
- Results: Reduced network cost 40%; quadrupled speed of end user to network response; improved customer satisfaction; took scalable network to 12 times capacity.
Catapulted revenue 300% in 3 years managing vendor relationships and contracts. Screened best-of-breed vendors; validated proposed solutions; negotiated pricing and contracts; performed complex financial analysis including cost benefit; educated sales on features and benefits; oversaw pre-sales engineers; offered solutions to clients; directed post-sales implementation.
- Results: Grew revenue from $200,000 to $10 million; developed strong vendor loyalty.
Professional Services Management:
Rebuilt professional services practice to grow from $11 million in product sales, service and maintenance contracts to~$39 million in 2 years. Grew department from 2 to 20 engineers and 100 indirect reports; divided into 5 practice areas with practice leaders over pre/post-sales and delivery of route switching, data center, unified communications, security and wireless; set up comp. plan/ MBOs; educated technical sales team on solution offerings for 2000+ clients from small to Fortune 50 companies; met with clients; negotiated scopes of work; collaborated with senior engineers on complex network design.
- Results: Sales team attained ~75% close ratio; improved customer network performance up to 60%; achieved 99% employee retention; attained Cisco Gold.
Directed professional services organization for $144+ million company contributing $48 million in revenue in 3 years. Oversaw 48 professional services consultants for network management, network and security solutions, Microsoft, SUN Microsystems, HP, IBM and storage solutions; spearheaded maintenance contracts division; managed $6 million budget; oversaw staff development; established customer relationships across diverse business sectors in medical, financial, enterprise and manufacturing arenas.
- Results: Generated additional $1 million in agent fees.
Reestablished professional services business group following mass exodus of network staff due to impending sale of division to GE. Recruited/Trained senior network engineers with 10 of 12 achieving CCIE status in first year; managed networking, network operating systems, mid-range computing practice, security, consulting, pre/post sales and delivery support for 5-state region; set up/initiated carrier relations with AT&T, Sprint, ICI and MCI; co-moved/established NOC for GE in southeast.
- Results: Increased revenue from $350,000 to $20 million in product sales, ~$2.1 million in engineering/professional services revenue, $720,000 in agent fees.
Devised business offerings to diversify/grow business while providing customers highly reduced telecom costs. Conceived idea to expand business housing 65+carriers for data and voice by targeting enterprise business and educational customers and selling space to house data center equipment in highly fault tolerant environment and to utilize diverse carrier capacity at wholesale pricing and targeting companies requiring highly secure private suite spaces; offered smart hands, eyes and feet and monitoring to domestic and international clients; offered free voice and data peering service to induce add-on business or new business.
- Results: Increased occupancy 10%, revenue 35%; positioned company for $52.5 million sale.
Strategic Problem Solving:
Established $88 million, 376,000 sf. state-of-the-art collocation center to overcome market’s lack of Tier 1 data center space as part of senior leadership team. Provided insight into building needs including floor design of 167,000 sf. raised floor, analyzed sites and space for best fit for center and housing clients’ equipment; leveraged network and security management experience for air and power designs, physical and IT security; outlined internal/external networking needs; reviewed construction documents; developed security service offering.
- Results: Opened phase I in 4 months, completed in 12 months; first to offer 100% up time.
Resurrected Canadian network, security and data center practice. Streamlined existing staff; hired manufacturer-certified engineers; met with customers and staff to gain better understanding of culture and workflow processes; paired talent to prospective/existing customers; promoted programs, products and offerings through several sales channels; appointed leader.
- Results: Grew product sales and services to $6.5 million in first 6 months, 5% ahead of target.
Reinvented web advertising to maximize exposure of one of top 4 carrier hotel collocation centers in US while minimizing costs. Perceived idea to provide detailed descriptions of service offerings and space pricing, pictures of center, power generation equipment, electrical grounding, bulk of fiber entering/existing building, HVAC, etc.; promoted specials and incentives; outlined professional biographies of senior leadership; ensure top website placement within major search engines.
Results: Clicks increased from ~200/month to several thousand/week
Jake Sherrill founded in 2013. Tier4 delivers cutting edge solutions to optimize procurement processes resulting in gold standard satisfaction and trusted client relationships. #ITProcurementRedefined
310 Maxwell Road,
Suite # 400
Alpharetta, Georgia 30009